Friday, March 02, 2012

Journey to the Cross - Voice of the Lord. Psalm 29


Read Psalm 29.
This is the scripture for March 1st - during JOURNEY TO THE CROSS.

The Voice of God - this scripture brought about a lot of thoughts about my own journey in "Hearing God Speak"

It has taken me awhile to understand how God speaks - and if I could hear Him.  I would be jealous of those people that said "God spoke to me" or "God told me --". 

I questioned.

Why couldn't I hear God?    I wanted to hear the big booming voice I read about in the Bible.  Moses talked with God in the burning bush?  Or did I?  A big booming voice would scare my off my seat!!

 Does God really speak today like he did back then?  Are people today really hearing God speak?

This was an honest conflict going on within me.  Over time,  I began to realize that God had spoken and continually speaks to me -- ever since I have "known" Him.  (Know -- a key word here)

I have never heard the big booming voice that I imagined coming from the burning bush.

But, I have heard His voice in a BIG way.

I have come to the conclusion that God speaks in many different ways - mainly through His WORD. But God does speak apart from scripture - however he never speaks in contradiction to it. -- He speaks through  music & song--worship, people,  creation, circumstances... just to name a few.

The Holy Spirit guides us - and speaks to us.  Jesus told this to his disciples - "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you (John 14:26). Again Jesus said to them:
When He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. (16:13-14)

He speaks, but we don't always listen.   And, we can't hear unless we KNOW Him -- (this is where that word comes in --KNOW)

We need to be continually in HIS presence -- to be aware of HIM and Who He Is.  To KNOW Him. 

In my own life - God speaks more to me when I am seeking Him on a daily basis.  It usually is when something I have read, heard, or talked about is revealed several times throughout my day, or week, or month.... it is so prominent that I literally feel the "aha" of the moment. 

I love the way God speaks to me.    Most times gentle -- sometimes in the midst of pain, sometimes in the midst of joy.  But, he does speak -- it is like having a conversation with a friend - because truly, isn't that what God desires most from us -- a relationship?  an intimate relationship.   He wants to converse with us, walk with us, surround us with his love.


Psalm 29

A psalm of David. 1 Ascribe to the LORD, you heavenly beings,
   ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
2 Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name;
   worship the LORD in the splendor of his[a] holiness.
 3 The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
   the God of glory thunders,
   the LORD thunders over the mighty waters.
4 The voice of the LORD is powerful;
   the voice of the LORD is majestic.
5 The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars;
   the LORD breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He makes Lebanon leap like a calf,
   Sirion[b] like a young wild ox.
7 The voice of the LORD strikes
   with flashes of lightning.
8 The voice of the LORD shakes the desert;
   the LORD shakes the Desert of Kadesh.
9 The voice of the LORD twists the oaks[c]
   and strips the forests bare.
And in his temple all cry, “Glory!”
 10 The LORD sits enthroned over the flood;
   the LORD is enthroned as King forever.
11 The LORD gives strength to his people;
   the LORD blesses his people with peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails