Tuesday, August 09, 2011

FABULOUS TIPS: secondHAND, HAND-me-down, HAND-made

Philippians 4:11-12-
Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.


I thought I would share over the next few weeks some tips that I have tried, used, or would like to attempt for saving my family time & money.  

1. First and foremost,  I suggest praying for a godly attitude; one that does not covet but rather is content with what you have. 

 Hebrews  13:5 - Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."


2. Second, be willing to give.    God blesses us when we give.  

2 Corinthians 9:6-8
Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.  And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Share your tips with us too!

SecondHAND

 I try to and would like to attempt to buy more from thrift shops and/or super sales at the local stores.  I usually by clothes on clearance that are "out of season" and buy for future use.  I can  buy bathing suits for next Summer really cheap.  At thrift stores, you can find clothes, gifts, household items, craft supplies, and more for a fraction of what they would cost brand-new.  And, of course yard sales!  Who doesn't love a good yard sale? 

HAND-Me-Down
Clothing - since I have four girls - we pass down clothes amongst girls.  But, sometimes we end up having an abundance of clothes.  So, we share.  We give our "extra" clothes to other families in our church, or in the community, or we give to a local thrift shop.   There are several families in our church that "swap" clothes with one another.   My girls love getting a bag from our friends with "new" clothes to be discovered inside.  We tend to have a fashion show sporting all the new clothes we just received. 
 

 HANDmade

Homemade gifts.  As my girls get older - it seems the more parties they are invited to attend.  That becomes costly.  So, I will buy a few items in bulk from the dollar store (chapstick, gum, combs, etc.)  I will sew purses out of old jeans or skirts and make them "personalized" for the friend.  Inside we will stuff it with our dollar store finds.   We also make our own cards,  make a craft, painting or picture, or something yummy from the kitchen.  A favorite idea is to make a "coupon book" for a friend for future playdates, park dates, swim dates, cooking dates, etc.  


Next Tuesday:  Fabulous Tips:  Back To School

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails