Tuesday, August 30, 2011

FABULOUS TIPS: From The Kitchen

Philippians 4:11-12-
Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.


Continuing with our Fabulous Tips Tuesday series --  tips that I have tried, used, or would like to attempt for saving my family time & money.  

This week I am sharing about some tips that I use in my kitchen:  a cooking tip, meal planning idea,  and site that will amaze you.... all things that can help you out in saving time and money in your kitchen.

Share your tips with us too!

Slow Cooker - Storage idea

I tend to use my slow cooker a lot - especially in Fall & Winter months.  There is not a week that goes by that I am not using my best kitchen friend.   One thing I like to with my slow cooker when it is not in use for dinner, is to  make use of my dried beans.  I cook a large batch of beans (any kind - black, kidney, garbanzo, pinto, etc.)  and then I will freeze them in 2 cup portions to be used instead of cans.  Buying dried beans is a lot cheaper than buying cans of beans.

Meal Planning
 
I have shared several times with you about meal planning.  But, I truly find it essential for saving money when I am grocery shopping.  When I don't have a plan,  I tend to spend more than I should....and I end up buying extra things I don't really need.


One Meal Planning idea that I am in process of working on is a meal plan for each season.  I am making a kitchen "notebook"  binder-- this notebook will contain meal plans, grocery lists, favorite meals of our family,  recipes, Meal planner forms, Once A Month cooking recipes & ideas, Information sheets like substitutions, measurements, storage time limits, etc.
 

Eat Your Books

This is probably one of my most new favorite finds.  What an awesome idea - concept!!   Eat Your Books  is a site where you can search for recipes in your own cookbooks, as easily as you search for recipes on the internet. They have indexed the most popular cookbooks & magazines so recipes become instantly searchable. No more hunting through stacks of books to find a recipe. Grab the book off your shelf & start cooking! 


Next Tuesday:  Fabulous Tips:  Shopaholic

1 comment:

  1. The "eat your books" website is really cool. I just showed that one to Melissa.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails