Saturday, April 17, 2010

Southwestern Corn Alfredo Fettuccine


The Development of the Dish:

This recipe was developed during a week night when I scoured through my pantry finding ingredients I had on hand to make dinner for that night. I had fettuccine and I also had black beans --so, I searched on-line for some sort of recipe that would include those items. I found a few different ideas and ended up creating this recipe. I had frozen sweet white corn, salsa, tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro that would make a really good mexican/spanish type meal. But, I didn't have any tortillas or chips -- so I adapted with fettuccine. This was the recipe I came up with and I have to say that my family loved it and it was mighty tasty!

The Recipe:



  • 12 oz whole wheat fettuccine
  • 16 oz fresh or frozen sweet white corn, thawed
  • 1 1/3 cup of milk
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seed
  • 2-3 large cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp grapeseed or olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seed
  • 3 green scallions chopped
  • 1 celery diced OR 1 bell pepper diced
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn, thawed
  • 4 ounces of pepper jack cheese, or jack cheese
  • cilantro, freshly chopped tomatoes, avocado chunks, lime
  • black beans (seasoned with salt and pepper)
1. Cook fettuccine according to package directions -- just until al dente. Drain and keep warm 2. Meanwhile, in a food processor or a really good blender, puree corn, milk, garlic and 1/2 tsp cumin seed. Set aside. 3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin, onion, and celery or bell pepper. Stir often until onion and celery are soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 4. Stir in corn/milk, 1 cup of corn, and cheese over medium heat until cheese melts.

5. Pour sauce over pasta and top with black beans. Garnish with cilantro, diced tomatoes, and avocado.
6. Season to taste with lime and salt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails