BUT ~ With SO MANY bags -- it was a must to make a day (or two or three) to sort through all of them and come up with a system that would work for us.
I have been trying to get our clothing/laundry dis-array into somewhat of order for the past few years. As most of you know -- LAUNDRY is my MOST disliked activity/chore/punishment (whatever you may call it) to do. I am not very good at keeping it maintained or organized in any manner. I have had several friends come and graciously help me fold and hang my huge MT. LAUNDRY piles while we chatted. (Thank you friends). But, I just can't rely on them for so long -- they may want to stop coming over to visit in fear of having to fold my laundry. Soo... I have read a couple of laundry makeover blog posts from some of favorite blogs and I got a few ideas for a new laundry system. I am going to try it out soon -- and let you know how it manages.
Okay -- but for the FIRST STEP in my Laundry/Clothes makeover. I had to go through ALL of my girls clothes. (This was just for my daughters -- not for the parents)
If any of you have girls than you know -- GIRLS HAVE LOTS OF CLOTHES!
Here is what I did!
1. Brought ALL of the clothes from the girls' closets, drawers, bins in the garage -- and set them in my living room.
2. Went through all the clothes we had & all the clothes given to us in the bags and sorted them into size. BABY (0-12 mths), TODDLER (12mths - 2T), 3T, 4T, 5T, 6, 7-UP.
3. Next, I sorted through each of those size piles (one at a time) and sorted by: Pants, Shorts, Dresses, Skirts, Shirts, Sweaters/Sweatshirts.
4. Then I took each of those piles and determined:
- what to keep currently in the closet & drawers,
- what to keep in bins for use later (seasonal or pass down to next child)
- what to give away to some lucky soul.
5. Then I placed each of those piles into their appropriate places:
- Current : Folded or hung in drawers/closet
- Later Use: Labeled Bins (by size) to be placed in garage
- Give Away: Garbage Bags -- to be given to first come it is yours!!
6. Repeat steps 3 -5 for each size pile.
WALLA~! Here is my nicely sorted & labeled bins!
It felt good to sort through and get rid of clothes -- to really simplify the amount of clothes they have. Who needs 10 skirts?? It has been a re-freshing feeling to have it DONE~
NEXT -- to create my laundry system..............
What do you do to organize your clothing? What about your laundry system? Would love to hear about your ideas and what works for you?