Friday, April 16, 2010

The BIG CLOTHING Sort ---

Our home was welcomed with about 7-8 bags of clothing given to us for our girls from various friends. I LOVE me some "Hand-Me-Down" Clothing! It is truly a blessing.

BUT ~ With SO MANY bags -- it was a must to make a day (or two or three) to sort through all of them and come up with a system that would work for us.

Rosi is making a bed for her baby next to the bags of clothing goods~


SIDENOTE (Sorta):

I have been trying to get our clothing/laundry dis-array into somewhat of order for the past few years. As most of you know -- LAUNDRY is my MOST disliked activity/chore/punishment (whatever you may call it) to do. I am not very good at keeping it maintained or organized in any manner. I have had several friends come and graciously help me fold and hang my huge MT. LAUNDRY piles while we chatted. (Thank you friends). But, I just can't rely on them for so long -- they may want to stop coming over to visit in fear of having to fold my laundry. Soo... I have read a couple of laundry makeover blog posts from some of favorite blogs and I got a few ideas for a new laundry system. I am going to try it out soon -- and let you know how it manages.

Okay -- but for the FIRST STEP in my Laundry/Clothes makeover. I had to go through ALL of my girls clothes. (This was just for my daughters -- not for the parents)

If any of you have girls than you know -- GIRLS HAVE LOTS OF CLOTHES!

Here is what I did!

1. Brought ALL of the clothes from the girls' closets, drawers, bins in the garage -- and set them in my living room.

2. Went through all the clothes we had & all the clothes given to us in the bags and sorted them into size. BABY (0-12 mths), TODDLER (12mths - 2T), 3T, 4T, 5T, 6, 7-UP.


3. Next, I sorted through each of those size piles (one at a time) and sorted by: Pants, Shorts, Dresses, Skirts, Shirts, Sweaters/Sweatshirts.

4. Then I took each of those piles and determined:
  • what to keep currently in the closet & drawers,
  • what to keep in bins for use later (seasonal or pass down to next child)
  • what to give away to some lucky soul.

5. Then I placed each of those piles into their appropriate places:

  • Current : Folded or hung in drawers/closet
  • Later Use: Labeled Bins (by size) to be placed in garage
  • Give Away: Garbage Bags -- to be given to first come it is yours!!


6. Repeat steps 3 -5 for each size pile.

WALLA~! Here is my nicely sorted & labeled bins!



It felt good to sort through and get rid of clothes -- to really simplify the amount of clothes they have. Who needs 10 skirts?? It has been a re-freshing feeling to have it DONE~

NEXT -- to create my laundry system..............

What do you do to organize your clothing? What about your laundry system? Would love to hear about your ideas and what works for you?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a blessing to have all those clothes as hand me downs! :D

    As far as laundry goes, I have days during week that I do a certain type of laundry - usually no more than 2 loads at the most. Monday - sheets and towels, Tuesday - warm clothes, Wednesday - whites, Thursday - colds, Saturday - warm :D

    Have a great weekend!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! I hate laundry too.
    Good job lady! :)

    I might have to borrow Sherry's method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie Smith2:43 PM

    I have a live in laundry lady!!!! My Grandmother lives with me and she is 89. She doesn't get around too well anymore, but she wanted to help out in the house. So she took over the laundry a couple years ago for me!! What a blessing!!! She is fabulous about it. She washes everything on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Monday is the biggest day. THere are 6 of us living here so after a weekend there are a lot of clothes and towels and sheets are changed on Saturday. But she is so good, she puts it all away or at least in the room. She doesn't always get the clothes sorted correctly so it is like a game. Who's clothes did you get today!! I always wash, dry, maybe fold but NEVER put away. So I have the MT. Laundry too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:12 PM

    What saves me time and energy is each child has a laundry hamper in their room those close go from there, to the washer the dryer and then back the the respective persons room to be put away - it saves your sanity on having to read tags or wondering what clothing belongs to whom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails