Sunday, April 18, 2010

Menu Plan - April 18th (simple easy meals)


Here is my menu plan for this week. I realized that I have simple easy meals this week, with the exception of about one. This makes me happy! I also am incorporating some new meals this week as well. I have done something a little bit different in sharing my meals with you -- I have put a little blurb with each meal of the day, explaining how or what I am planning to make it -- just a few of my little secrets shared.


SUNDAY:

  • "Breakfast Tacos"
  • Shredded Hashbrowns

It is Sunday and I am not in a huge mood to cook a dinner. So, opt for an easy "Breakfast Tacos"... Corn Tortillas with Scrambled Eggs, Shredded Cheese, Black Beans, Scallions, Salsa, Sour Cream, and served with hashbrowns. We like to put the hashbrowns on the tacos too. It was a filling, yummy, delicious meal. Sometimes I just love having breakfast for dinner. Why is it that we don't have dinner for breakfast?

MONDAY:
  • Garbanzo Bean Masala over Organic Millet
  • Green Salad ( with Sugar Snap Peas, Red Cabbage, Gorgonzola Cheese)
  • Homemade Rolls/Bread
I buy the Masala sauce from Trader Joes. We have had a this several times now and really like it. This dish is an easy quick fix -- which I like on most days lately. Simple & Easy. The sauce can be made with chicken, other meat, or tofu...but, we prefer the garbanzo beans. I saute the beans in a little oil and crisp them up, then add in the sauce. Millet -- I am loving this grain more and more. Last week I had made a millet dish with swiss chard and carrot --ohhh, it was sooo good. For this meal, I am cooking the millet with a little butter and broth. This will flavor it nicely. You could definitely omit the butter if you are watching the fats. The salad -- I am using green lettuce from our garden and throwing in some chopped snap peas, red cabbage, and some gorgonzola cheese. Simple. Homemade bread -- my darling hubby does this. REALLY yummy bread.

TUESDAY
Mini-Meatball Burger. Last week during lunch time, I created this little cute ditty. Trader Joes came out with a small mini hamburger bun (small = cute!) -- I bought some little meatballs. I cooked the meatballs in a little bit of Trader Joes BBQ sauce and then put 3 meatballs on each little mini-bun. I may top our burgers with a little crisp lettuce. Another simple and delish meal. Sweet Potato Chips : I haven't decided if I will make these or just break down and buy the chips already made. But, if I do make them -- it should end up being yummy. I love Sweet potatoes. Have any of you ever made these before?

WEDNESDAY
  • Black Eyed Pea Corn Bread (See recipe below)
  • Steamed Broccoli & Carrots
This will be a new recipe this week. I found the recipe on-line when I was searching for black eyed peas. I have made hoppin' John before with black eyed peas and also a salsa using the peas, but I wanted something a little different. I am switching up the recipe a bit -- because I already have a corn bread mix (from Trader Joes) and will use that instead of making the corn bread batter listed in the recipe. This will hopefully make the recipe a little bit more simple. (I must be having a "simple" theme this week?) I will also be using a veggie sausage instead of the pork.

THURSDAY

Another "New" dish -- but, not as "simple" as the other dishes this week. There is some prep work involved. But, I have all the ingredients in the pantry and it really does sound yummy and unique. I am planning to make the Polenta part the night before -- that way it will be easy to do the second step in making the "french fry" part this night. I decided to "beefin" up the fries with some grilled veggies & sausages (weather permitting). I am looking forward to start using the grill more. I love when Spring and Summer are here -- the cooking becomes a lot more simple in that we use our outdoor grill A LOT. Beats the heat!

FRIDAY:

  • Pizza -- Papa Ric's Homemade
  • Fruit Slices (Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Melon)

This is my hubby's meal. He creates the pizzas -- preps the toppings, puts on the sauce, bakes them, creates them. I LOVE that! I will help but slicing up some fresh fruit to go along with our Pizza. Friday makes a fun family night of homemade pizzas & maybe a movie or bike ride or some sort of adventure as a family! The girls LOVE to help their Papa make the Pizza too! They don their aprons and chef hats and get in there and help out!


SATURDAY
  • Pasta -- Penne w/ marinara
  • Garlic Bread
  • Green Salad

Just another simple dish. Nothing too fancy with this. I made throw in some fresh basil into the pasta. But, for the most part...simplicity!

Featured Recipe:

******************************************************
BLACK EYED PEA CORN BREAD
  • 1 pound of bulk pork sausage
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup of white corn meal
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup of buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
  • One 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies, drained
  • 3/4 cup of cream style corn
  • 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
  • One 15 ounce can of black eyed peas, drained

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 13"x9"x2" pan.
Cook sausage and onions in large skillet until sausage is browned. Drain and set aside. Combine corn meal, flour, salt and soda in a large bowl. In another bowl beat eggs, buttermilk and oil together. Combine with dry ingredients using a few quick strokes (batter does not need to be blended until smooth). Add sausage and onion, chilies, corn, cheese and black eyed peas. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Makes 8 to 12 servings.
******************************************************

What's on your menu this week?

You can check for more menu plans over at Organizing Junkie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails