Tuesday, September 12, 2006

How Does Your Garden Grow?

"Sophia, Sophia, How does your garden grow?"
"With lots of water, Mr. Sun, and Love and Doodliebugs!"

Ahhhh. I love having fresh vegetables from the garden! We had our first garden at our new house this summer....and I have to say that my green thumb husband did a fine job. He loves the square foot gardening. I don't have a green thumb....I did not inherit that gift from my avid gardner father. But, I got to choose the plants, and let's just say that next year I think Ric will be supervising me a little better. We ended up with 10 different varieties of basil and about 5 different tomato plants that sprawled everywhere. We did produce the most tasty yellow pear tomatoes ever! There were about 3 corn stalks and somewhere lost in the tomato bushes were some eggplant & peppers & strawberries...
Sophia loves to garden and of course loves to reap the harvest! Like her Mama, she also loves tomatoes! Both girls loved to pick, pick, pick and eat, eat, eat them tom-ah-toes! Lydia hasn't quite got the concept that green tomatoes are not ready for pickn' yet. But, when she does find a juicy ripe tomato, she is overjoyed of the taste! Grins!
Well, now that the Fall season is here....everything seems to falling to the ground. Seasons come and seasons go...and my little girls are getting ---well, not so little anymore. It is a hard job being a mom, but it is the most rewarding job that I know. I may not have a green thumb for gardening....but, I think that God has given me a green thumb for child rearing. It is only by His grace that I am able to endure the lovely task of parenthood. And, I love to reap the benefits of the hard labor. Harvest is plentiful. I love to watch my children play, sing to the Lord with loud praises, skip, jump, pretend, ask inquisitive questions....oh, yes there are poopy diapers, screaming fits, and outright defiance....but, nothing can overlook the tenderness of "Mommy, hold me...Mommy, your the best mama ever!.....Mommy, I love you. Mommy, I love Jesus!" I know that I do not always make wise decisions, but through the wisdom of God, I pray that my children will grow to love the Lord.
So, when I am asked how my garden grows, I hope to have the same answer as Sophia...."with lots of water (shelter, necessities of life), Mr.Sun (Mr. SON), Lots of LOVE (no explanation here), and Lots of Doodliebugs (fun, joy)!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails