Tuesday, August 16, 2011

FABULOUS TIPS: Back To School

Philippians 4:11-12-
Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

Continuing with our Fabulous Tips Tuesday series --  tips that I have tried, used, or would like to attempt for saving my family time & money.  

This week I am sharing about  Back to School tips.   I can't believe how so many stores have put out their Back to School supplies at the end of July.  Even some stores have clothes that are Back to School (winter type clothes) which is just crazy to me, because it is HOT here where we live.  Kids are REALLY not going to want to wear turtle neck sweaters in the middle of August. Seriously!
Thankfully,  the school that the girls attend is not starting until after Labor Day and I am happy with that.  We can enjoy a HOT August outdoors camping, swimming, and playing.

Share your tips with us too!

Routine

About a week before school starts, we ease back into the school time "routines". 
Bedtime - During the Summer, we enjoyed late nights playing outside.  But, when school comes around our bedtime needs to be as consistent as possible. 
  • 7:30pm bath, teeth, hair combed, jammies
  • 8:00pm is bedtime/booktime
  • 8:30 lights out. 
We are training those little bodies and minds back into the routine of school.  Kids need their rest. (So do parents!)  When bedtime is consistent - sleep is better - and morning time becomes easier as well.
Morningtime - We have very relaxed mornings during Summer. Wake-up when your eyes open...play, breakfast at 10am, etc.  But not so with school mornings.
This is the time where we practice getting ready for school and doing it "on-time"  as well preparing healthy breakfasts too.  In the past, I will admit during the school year that my kids have walked out the door with a graham cracker and sip of water (horrible, I know).  So, this also time for me to practice getting into a routine.  Trust me, it is just not for the kids.  It is for me too!
  • 6:30am - Wake time.  Make beds.  Get dressed with shoes on. Hang up Jammies.  Brush hair.
  • 7:15am - Breakfast, devotionals, brush teeth
  • 7:45am - Buckled up and leaving the house  (When in "training" - I have thoughts of going to the park to play - with our sack lunches in tow!)


Schedules
 
I love what Organized home has to say about a home calendar for school time! 
Each school year floats on a sea of schedules. School functions. Lunch menus. Girl scout meetings, Awanas,dance and music lessons, soccer. What do you do when you're drowning in paper?
Nothing calms school year chaos like Calendar Central: a centralized site for all family calendars and schedules. You'll need a family event calendar to track after-school activities, school programs and volunteer work. Add specialized calendars and schedules, and you have it: a one-stop shop for family time management.
Form is less important than function. A paper calendar with large squares lets you enter information easily. Pre-printed white board calendars are easy to revise when necessary. Color-coding entries by family member helps keep busy lives straight.  (this was quoted from organized home)

I spend some time before school starts creating our Family Calendar.  I have a paper calendar.  I like to print out a schedule from our computer with "set in stone" type of activities - color coding the children.   This year I am planning to get an erasable type calendar for our fridge.  The main calendar is on my computer/phone.  
 

Supplies

I stock up on the back to school items that the kids will need throughout the year:  pads of paper, glue sticks, crayons, pens, rulers, etc.   This is usually the time where you can find some supplies only for a penny.  YEP, a penny!   I will place the "extras" in the closet storage to be used for later in the year.

I re-stock their school tubs.  Each girl has a clear plastic shoe box for their own personal school supplies: glue, scissors, ruler, pens, pencils, erasers, etc.   They use their own and it is stored in their own box. No fighting over the supplies.   When it is homework time, they get their box out and have already on-hand what they need for doing their homework.   My 3 year old even has her own box -because she likes to do "homework" as well.

Next Tuesday:  Fabulous Tips:  The 3 R's

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails