Sunday, June 26, 2011

Simplicity? - is really complex

"There is a quest out there for simplicity......
My life is not simple. And I am not simple. My life is complex
People are complex. All the people here are individuals. They all have individual needs and individual wants and individual personalities.....
The only simple part is how I do it. I am called to do it diligently. I am called to do it wholeheartedly. I am called to devote my entire life to working hard for the glory of God in this complex household. I am called to do it — no matter how intricate and complicated "it" is — with love. Mothers love with all their hearts, minds and souls. It's a pure love that God wants us to give to our families. Many, many times, this love looks like plain old hard work, work that requires heroic discipline and almost incessant busyness. Work that is softened by grace falling like rain, rain that sounds like music. It's not a simple tune. It's a symphony conducted by the Lord Himself. And in every family the song is different, each according to the score written by the Creator." ~ excerpts from In the Heart of my Home by Elizabeth Foss.


I was praying this morning and remembered a blog post that I had read awhile back about Simplicity.  This blog post must of  really had an impact on me to recall in my mind....and to search back and find it too! But, I remember her words piercing my heart as a mom - because I was/is one of those moms that are on that quest for simplicity.  Her words really spoke truth to me -- I do love the simple things, and I do relish in delighting in those simple things.  I desire to have my home reflect simplicity --  But, I am reminded that my life right now is not simple.... and this line said it all for me:   I am called to devote my entire life to working hard for the glory of God in this complex household


I have been struggling over the past year at what the Lord is "calling" me to be/do?  What does HE desire me to be or do?  I have longed to be able to create another CD album and sing...be part of a band.... artist.... teacher....  however,  God has been teaching me about  devoting my entire life toHIM - no matter what, where, why I am doing what I am doing.  Right now, I am learning to be a Mama to my girls.  I am learning to be a helpmeet to my husband.  I am learning to be part of ministry in my church.  I am learning to be a friend. 
God is molding me in many areas -- it is not simple by any means, except that there is a simple purpose of creating something beautiful for God within me.  


There is always the danger that we may just do the work for the sake of the work. This is where the respect and the love and the devotion come in — that we do it to God, to Christ, and that's why we try to do it as beautifully as possible. ~ Mother Theresa 


I encourage you to go read the entire blog post from In the Heart of my Home by Elizabeth Foss.  It is so well written and will change your perspective about simplicty and our perspectives of who we are as mothers. 

1 comment:

  1. It really is complicated. I have to laugh that it's such an oxcymoron. We're working on it too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails