I love to read. I also love when I have time to read. It seems that this season in my life, and the ages of my children - I have less time to read. BUT, I try to make an effort to keep reading - keep expanding my mind - keep learning - keep growing - keep dreaming.
My husband also likes to read - but his kind of reading is different. He is one of those techie types and enjoys a book on tape (CD)... he downloads books onto his MP3 player, phone etc. and will listen to them in the car when he drives for work. He has read many books this way...and that works for him.
I, on the other hand, like to feel the book in my hands. The smell of pages in a book is in someway comforting. I have an emotional attachment to the literal book... Now, I do like to listen to sermons on tape (CD) in my car, but for some reason it is hard for me to focus when I "read" a book on CD...I am busy going four places at once and my mind going at least 10 different places, little children asking me questions....so no doubt I miss a part of the story and have to rewind or lose my way in the story.... that just ends up aggravating me.
So, I stick with words on a page.
Reading a "real" book for me involves taking the time to STOP --leave the busy-ness behind and just soak up time to myself to expand my mind. It is refreshing and rejuvenating for me.
So how am I able to read when I a busy Momma of four Lil Daisies??
Here are some ways that I incorporate "reading time" into my days.
- Take a bath and read a favorite book. - Candle, bubbles & a book. Nice! (Usually done after kiddos are in bed...or sweet hubby watches them for me while I soak away)
- When baby is napping - I take 15 minutes to read God's Word or read part of a book that has just captured me in...I have to know what is coming next!
- I leave a book in the car, so that when I waiting in line for picking up the girls at school, I have a few minutes to read a couple of pages. (I usually have some quick learning type books for this kind of reading)
- When babies are in bed. I set aside at least 30 minutes to read.
- In the bathroom -- Yep. Bathroom- a.k.a. "The Library". Sometimes that is the only place I can sneak away to read for at least a couple of minutes. Even if it is a favorite magazine. And - without doubt there are most times I have a little one following me right into the "Library".... I give them some little toys to play with while I do my business and read!
What are some ways that you take time to read?
What kind of books do you enjoy reading?