Thursday, October 21, 2010

Stepping Forward



Proverbs 16:9, “A man's heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.”



Remember those little feet in the big shoes?


Well, those were my sweet little daisies feet inside of brand new running shoes.


I took the picture of her wearing them for several reasons to demonstrate a point - a journey I am about to embark upon:

1. Fillin' My Mama's Shoes: The first reason being she wanted to wear them - because playing in your Mama's shoes is fun - funny! Have you heard of the term "Fill your Father's Shoes" Well to step into someone's shoes is an idiom meaning:

  • to take over a job or some role from someone.
  • to take the job or position that someone else had before you

Well, that is my hope and desire to take upon the steps that God has laid out before me, that HE has created, designed. I am like a child stepping into the BIG shoes of God. I don't quite fit, but I am taking steps of faith that HE will indeed guide my feet.

2. Baby Steps: Do you remember watching your small child take that first step? When it happens, excitement comes over you. An unexplainable joy fills a parent as they watch.
But for the one taking that first step, you see fear and adventure on their face. When the task is achieved you may see confusion and joy combined on that little face. And then as that next step is taken you will hear laughter and joy.

I am like that child taking her first steps. I am afraid but excited to see what God has in store for this journey. And, I know that God is faithful to bless my efforts and obedience. And, I will be able to rejoice and find joy.


These 5 verses remind me that God will now be fully guiding my steps in this life.
  1. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5)
  2. Thus says the Lord, Your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you by the way you should go.” (Isaiah 48:17)
  3. “I will instruct you and teach you in the way should go; I will guide you with My eye.” (Psalm 32:8)
  4. “For this is God, our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death.” (Psalm 48:14)
  5. The Lord will guide you continually …” (Isaiah 58:11)

Notice the specific words that God will “guide you continually, be our guide even to death, guide you with His eye, leads you by the way you should go, teaches you to profit, instructs you and directs your paths.”

All of these verses make it very clear that it is God’s job to fully guide and direct my steps in this life.


Sooo - I am stepping out! With God as my guide.

I bought some new running shoes with the intentions to begin a journey of having a healthy body. And, I am taking baby steps -- little things at a time. Because I find if I go full force on something, I become overwhelmed and end up not doing it. The vicious cycle gets me all the time.


So, my first step into having a healthy body is to:

1. WALK MY DOG MALLIE: EVERY MORNING - My goal is to wake-up at 6am and walk her for about 15-20 minutes before the rest of my family rises. Eventually, I will work up to running.

Let me tell you that this will be a difficult task (but not too difficult for God) because I am NOT a morning person by any means and it has always been really hard for me to get up in the mornings. BUT, this is the only time that really works for me to do this. So, I am being obedient and planning to allow God to be my strength, endurance, and guide through this challenge.
It is important that I have exercise, but also that I spend time with the Mallie. It is good because I am hoping that I can pray while I am walking too.

I hope YOU can keep me accountable as well and follow me in this process. I will be posting on facebook my daily progress and then also sharing with you weekly here on the blog. You can follow me in both places.

Stepping Forward ...

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. ~ Hebrews 12:1 (NLT)

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Laura! I will be holding you up in prayer as you start this "adventure". You have encouraged me to get going with my morning walk. I've been skipping it lately cuz it has been not as sunny early in the morning as it used to be. What a bad excuse! If you can do it at 6 am, I can certainly do it at 7:30 am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie Mimi9:13 PM

    I'll be holding you up in prayer too. Maybe with the time change in a couple weeks (Fall Back) it will be a little easier to get up...you'll have a hour extra to sleep... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are amazing and I know that with God's help you can do this...
    It's the best gift you can give yourself, your husband and your girls!
    I am excited for you and will be praying for you and checking in and asking you how it's going!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails