Thursday, January 07, 2010

Reformation of Life (Resolutions 2010)

...when contemplating the New Year, we should make a resolution against New Year Resolutions, and, instead, strive for reformation of life.

I read this quote from A PuritansMind in regards to The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards and it really made me rethink how I approach the New Year. I was really caught by the words "reformation of life"... the words reforming/transforming illuminated my thoughts and this Bible verse from 1 Corinthians came to my mind.

“And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit” (1 Corinthians 3:18)

I am a work in progress. As God's image takes shape in me, I will see God's power as I confront sin. Transformation begins... The Lord blesses our daily living as we make decisions. We become holier, wiser, and more loving as we seek to reach souls for Jesus. I cannot transform myself through my own works...I will never be able to give my life as a living sacrifice through my own will power or out of a sense of duty. I must be transformed from the inside out and this is only possible through the inward transformation of my beliefs. Transformation is completely by grace through faith alone. What I believe and what I am convinced of will end up determining all that I do. If there is a behavior that needs to be changed, my focus is on renewing the mind. As my mind is renewed, as unbelief is turned to faith, attitudes will change, inward motivations will change, and then actions will change. So, I am working on being confident that God is in control of every detail of my life, that nothing happens by accident, and that all things are working for good.

So what can I do to renew my mind -- to seek reformation in my life?

First -- I am agreeing with the Jonathan Edwards's Resolutions --

Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat Him by His grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to His will, for Christ's sake.


So with this all at the forefront of my mind: I am declaring my resolutions (reformation of life) beginning this 2010.

Simplicity
Clean and Organize --
1.Cleansing of my soul, spirit, and mind --through God's Word.
* Reading my Bible Daily, Prayer, Meditation, Serving
2.Room by Room makeover --
* Decluttering, Organizing
3. Children
* Helping kids learn chores, responsibility (and being consistent to follow through)

Nourish the Soul and Body

1. Nourishing the Soul through Worship, God's Word, Books, Sermons, etc.
2. Healthy Body
* More whole, organic foods. Less sugar, processed foods.
* Exercise

These were listed from Monica @ The Homespun Heart in her list of resolutions. I loved the complete simplicity and careful sincerity of the words she chose.


Cultivate joy.Exude peace.Create rest.Lovingly create.Creatively love.Choose simplicity.
Grow deeper.Seek beauty.Make memories.Learn to pray.Soul nourish.Home haven.

*************************************************************************************

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails