Tuesday, December 29, 2009

MONKEY BREAD


My Hunny actually calls these Monkey Balls because it comes out in the form of balls when you take apart while eating. We have made these for several years in our little family as a tradition on Christmas morning. I remember having it as a kid. My neighbor, Lovie (yes, that is her name) made them for my family one Christmas Season, and we loved them. We grabbed the recipe from her and made them several times growing up. I have fond memories of the house filling up with the smell of cinnamon -- eating a sticky treat with your fingers makes the delicious Monkey Bread a certified comfort food. Sooo Delicious!

Here is my recipe for Monkey Bread (Balls)

INGREDIENTS
1/2cup granulated sugar
1teaspoon cinnamon
2cans (16.3 oz each) Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1/2cup chopped walnuts, if desired
1/2cup raisins, if desired
1cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4cup butter or margarine, melted

DIRECTIONS
1.Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 12-cup fluted tube pan with shortening or cooking spray. In large -storage plastic food bag, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon.
2.Separate dough into 16 biscuits; cut each into quarters. Shake in bag to coat. Arrange in pan, adding walnuts and raisins among the biscuit pieces, if desired. (I usually make mine without)
3.In small bowl, mix brown sugar and butter; pour over biscuit pieces.
4.Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until golden brown and no longer doughy in center. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn upside down onto serving plate; pull apart to serve. Serve warm

2 comments:

  1. mmmm... we have these sometimes too... but it's been a while.

    My mom makes an overnight omelet casserole and raspberry coffee cake every Christmas morning. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmm ! Thanks I´ll try to do it for Kings Day. BICOS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails