Here I have included the recipe and steps that are involved in the process.
- 1 c. whole pecans
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 3 egg whites
- pinch salt
- 1 c. sugar
- zipper baggie
- wooden spoon
Preheat Oven to 300 F. (Note: Do this first, don’t wait until you are half way done with the recipe!) Place pecans in Ziploc bag and let your children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces.
- Explain that after Jesus was arrested he was beaten by the Roman soldiers.
- Read John 19:1-3.
Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp. vinegar into mixing bowl.
- Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross he was given vinegar to drink.
- Read John 19:28-30.
Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life.
- Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life.
- Read John 10:10-11.
Sprinkle a little salt into each child’s hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.
- Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus’ followers, and the bitterness of our own sin.
- Read Luke 23:27.
So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 c. sugar.
- Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us, He wants us to know that and He wants us to love Him as well.
- Read Psalms 34:8 and John 3:16.
Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed.
- Explain that the color white represents the purity in God’s eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.
- Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3
Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie sheet.
- Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus’ body was laid.
- Read Matthew 27:57-60.
Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.
- Explain that Jesus’ tomb was sealed.
- Read Matthew 27:65-66.
IT”S TIME TO GO TO BED!
- Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. Jesus’ followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.
- Read John 16:20 and 22.
On Sunday morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On Resurrection morning, Jesus’ followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.
- Read Matthew 28:1-9.
THE LORD JESUS HAS RISEN!!! HE IS ALIVE!!