Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I'll be Mama

Some houses try to hide the fact that children shelter there, ours boasts it quite openly, the signs are EVERYWHERE.
For smears are on the window, little smudges are on the doors. I should apologize, I guess, for toys strewn on the floor. But I sat down with the children and we played and laughed and read and if the doorbell doesn't shine, their eyes will shine instead. For when at times I'm forced to choose the one job or the other, I'd like to cook and clean and scrub, but first I'll be a mother.


I had read this quote this morning and it made me have a new perspective today. So many times I become frustrated that my home is not perfectly clean and organized (everything in its place---everything has a place) that I spend most of my time helpless in a mess and become focused on getting the kids out of my way to clean, rather than teaching them or playing with them. And, then depression sits in because I have not been a "good" mother....so, now I feel a bit of complacency knowing that it is OKAY! Spend time with the girls, teach them, love them....those little smudge marks can wait.
It just reminds me that my attitude and mind need to be focused on Kingdom purposes rather than my own sense of perfectionism.
So what is my plan today? Here is a gist of it... but, for most of it, I plan to be Mama today! And, if you decide to come visit...you can join in on the fun in making smudges!

  • Read with Lydia
  • Clean dishes (Lydia helps to unload dishwasher)
  • Eat snack and play outside with Lydia
  • Laundry (Give Lydia a pile to "fold")
  • Go get Sophia from school
  • Lunchtime together!
Matt 6: 19-20;28-34
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails